Monday, August 22, 2011

Chocolate "Frogs" That Look Nothing Like Frogs But Taste Like Chocolate



Yesterday's baking involved no baking at all.
I whipped up another recipe from my lovely Cookies, Slices & Squares (written by Pippa Cuthbert & Lindsay Cameron Wilson).
These "frogs" looked so easy and delicious, I had to give them a try.



They were fast.
And they were delicious!
I had to change a few ingredients around and next time I will definitely be trying it out true to the recipe. Though my mind was racing with all the possible combinations while I was inhaling the softly bubbling chocolate liquid.



Of course I had to give them a bit of colour...



As you can see I made mine rather generous sized in pretty cupcake liners.
I just couldn't resist!

Anyway, enough blathering, here is the recipe for you to try.
I'm sure you creative people will come up with some yummy combinations too!

"Frogs"

Makes Approximately 35

Ingredients:

400g raw sugar
110g butter
60g cocoa powder
125mL milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
Pinch of salt
150g porridge oats
(I use rolled oats as I didn't have quick oats. Result is a jaw busting chewiness!)
100g desiccated coconut
(I crunched up 80g of corn flakes as my coconut had disappeared from my pantry. Added to the chewiness but was still tasty!)

Method:
  • Line two baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
  • Combine the sugar, butter, cocoa powder and milk in a medium saucepan over medium/high heat. Bring to the boil, whisking occasionally to remove any lumps.
  • Reduce the heat to medium/low and boil gently for 5 minutes.
  • Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the vanilla and salt.
  • Add the oats and coconut and stir to combine.
  • Drop tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto the lined trays.
  • Chill for at least an hour.
  • Peel the "frogs" off the paper and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.




No comments:

Post a Comment