Monday, September 26, 2011

Tropical Rainbow Layer Cake

I wanted to do another rainbow layer cake ever since I finished the last...
But I wanted to do something different.
I wanted flavours.
Every layer a different flavour.
My brain went into cake hibernation mode and all I could think of was cake and flavourings.
I needed strong flavours, more than the usual essences or artificial flavourings usually found in the baking section of the supermarket.
Somehow my mind jumped to jelly.
There are so many flavours to choose from, I knew I could get exactly what I wanted.

So I started my little quest, mixing and baking. The most time consuming part...
And finally, this morning I mixed up the giant bowl of buttercream frosting and assembled my tasty piece of art...


Yes, it is a little wonky on the top.
The cakes were kept in the freezer to keep them nice and firm for stacking and the second that buttercream hit a cold cake, it started to harden, so I had to move fast.


I should have waited for it to thaw before making such a messy cut...


But we just had to try a little bit!


It was delicious!

I went with a fruity flavoured theme and used grape, blueberry, lime, mango, orange and strawberry. You can almost convince yourself that you are having a fruit salad....
Ok, no, not at all.
We had a few mouthfuls and had to stop.
I jumped back into the kitchen and balanced myself out by making up three big containers of salads for us to snack on.
So now I have a gigantic cake in my fridge and absolutely no desire to eat it at all...

I just did it cause it was fun.
:)

2 comments:

  1. So cute!! Would LOVE it if you would link this up at my turquoise lovin' party going on right now!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com/2011/09/turquoise-lovin-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy...I'm sure it was cuz it looks good! I commend you on this...baking each layer...just for fun..wow.

    Would love it if you would link this up to our Rockin' link party going on now at RoCa and Company. Here is the link: http://rocaandcompany.blogspot.com/2011/09/you-rock-3.html . Come and show off what you got. Hope to see you there...

    Remember...YOU ROCK!!

    Carmen @
    RoCa and Company
    www.rocaandcompany.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete