Friday, September 2, 2011

Indian Spiced Red Lentil Soup


This is one of our favourite hearty Winter soups. So for the last day of Winter I decided to cook up a delicious pot for dinner with some fresh homemade naan breads.

We are a particular household.
I am not a huge fan of lentils.
They have to be cooked right and hidden in something with good flavour.
My hubby is the same.
So when I find a recipe that we both enjoy that has lentils, I hang on to it!
So far we have two recipes with lentils that we enjoy. Both soups.
Red Lentil & Tomato Soup.
And this Indian Spiced Red Lentil Soup.



I found the recipe in my ridiculously big collection of magazine clippings.
Of course I altered it.
I like to add more vegetables to things, and substitute when I can. If I don't have one ingredient in the pantry I will find something to replace it instead of going to the shops, or going without.

So here is the recipe:

Red Lentil Indian Spiced Soup


Ingredients:


1 tbs vegetable oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, diced
1/4 cup korma curry paste (I have used this but also substituted with yellow curry paste)
1 litre vegetable stock
400g can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup pearl barley, washed
2/3 cup red lentils, rinsed

Directions:

  • Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot. Cook, stirring, until the onion has softened.
  • Add curry paste, stir to combine and fry for a minute, stirring, to release aromas.
  • Stir in stock, tomatoes, lentils and barley. Cover. Bring to the boil.
  • Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until barley is tender.
  • Serve with fresh naan bread.


You may notice no photos of the tasty naan breads I made.....Well they never last long enough to take any!
I follow a basic recipe and add garlic and when rolling I stuff them with cheese. Brush it with garlic and butter and cook under the grill. Mmm yummy!
Maybe one day I will share the recipe and manage to take some photos before gobbling them all up....
Maybe.



No comments:

Post a Comment