Friday, September 30, 2011

Love Your Heart


You may have noticed on the side of my blog a Mums United button.
Let me explain...

I am so excited to be involved in a campaign by the Heart Foundation together with Soup called Mums United.
It is a whole lot of us mums together trying to encourage change in our communities. Changing the way we eat, and the way we live.

But don't let that scare you!

Small changes can make a big difference.
Changing some of the products you use in cooking and changing some of your favourite recipes to be a little more heart friendly is easy and the benefits are well worth it.


Encouraging your family to be active, to get outside, even for just 30 minutes a day can make big differences. It's not about forcing yourselves out, doing something you don't want to do. It's about finding something fun and active that your whole family will enjoy.

I have set myself a challenge for the month of October, but I am hoping to keep some of these changes as a permanent improvement for us.

My goals for my family are:
  • Less TV for the kids.
  • More family walks to the park (aiming for 3 times a week).
  • Meal makeovers. Buy products with the Heart Foundation tick of approval and get cookin'!
  • Healthier snacks. Prepare smoothies to hide fruit and freeze excess to make "ice creams".
  • Less take away food. It's just not good!
  • More vegetables. Sometimes meals tend to fall into being built around carbohydrates and proteins and not many vegetables find their way in there. Prepare three different kinds of salads to have handy for meal times or to snack on.

So where do I start?

I have been perusing the Heart Foundation website and there is a whole swathe of healthy recipes HERE.
Not only are there recipes but there are also healthy eating tips as well as activity ideas.

So over the next month I will be focusing on:
  • Being active as a family-When we go to the park together, we have fun, we talk, we relax and exercise without really noticing.
  • Kids in the kitchen-I really believe that kids should be more involved in food preparation so they can learn the necessary skills for healthy eating. It saddens me when I see people my age who still cannot cook and rely on fat filled fast foods.
  • Organization-Meal planning can be done so easily and it has so many benefits. It ensures variety in your weekly meals and saves you money!
  • Making it fun-Why should healthy eating be boring? Why should exercise be boring? I think it's time to inject a bit of fun in the day to day.
Just to make things a little more exciting for you readers, there will be some awesome giveaways over the next few weeks. I have so much to give away and the lovely people from Soup are donating some awesome prizes to go with the theme too!


Watch this space!
:)






1 comment:

  1. WHERE did that container come from??? That is exactly how my son eats, raw fruits and veges - a container like that would totally rock.

    And seriously? Superhero bread cutters?? Oh wow, where do I get them?!

    :D

    ReplyDelete