Friday, September 9, 2011

I Love A Good Cookie

I have a bit of a recipe scrapbook.
I have piles of magazine cut outs on our dining table.
I have a folder, bulging with more recipes, and shelves stacked high with books.
Needless to say, I have not made much from these recipes.
I have made a lot, but in the scheme of things, it barely makes a dent in the huge amount that I have still waiting.

Yesterday I flicked through my scrapbook, dedicated to sweet things only, and landed upon a recipe I have been dying to try.
Chai Cookies.
I pulled out a slab of butter to soften and when the time came (when the little man had his nap) Eve & I jumped into the kitchen.
Not long after we had these deliciously warm treats sitting in front of us...


The texture is that of shortbread, crumbly, soft and delicious with the soft blend of spices.


I had to concentrate all my efforts on not eating all the cookies while taking photos....


......I only ate one!

Chai Cookies

Ingredients:

250g butter, at room temperature
1 cup pure icing sugar
3 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
Milk, for glazing
1 tablespoon white sugar

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 160*C/140*C fan forced. Line two trays with baking paper.
  • Using an electric mixer, beat butter and icing sugar together in a medium bowl until light and creamy.
  • Sift flour and spices into a separate bowl. Stir flour mix into butter mixture to form a soft dough.(Add a tablespoon of milk if dough is too dry) Turn out onto a slightly floured surface and knead for 5 mins or until smooth.
  • Roll dough between sheets of baking paper to about 1cm thick. Using a 5cm round (I chose a pretty flower instead) pastry cutter, cut rounds from dough. Place on prepared trays. Brush tops with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
  • Bake for 15mins, or until golden. Cool on trays for 10mins then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

2 comments:

  1. Found you from the Tidy Mom linky. These look perfect for an afternoon pick me up. I just got back from Italy and did a post all about the food there. I think you'll like it, and I'd love for you to link up this delish recipe on Momtrends' Friday Food. Ciao!

    http://www.momtrends.com/2011/09/lake-como-food-highlights/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these cookie recipes you have here! Really want to try this AND the cookies and cream brownie recipe!

    ReplyDelete