Monday, August 20, 2012

Deliciously Decadent Carrot Cake

It is no secret that I love cake.
I love to bake cake.
I do like to eat that cake sometimes.
But honestly, the baking is my favourite.

Our fridge has been overloaded with vegetables, and I have been a busy bee.
I pureed up a big batch of sweet potato, carrot and peeled zucchini to give meals a little sneaky boost.
I was cooking so much food that our little family could not keep up!
Our freezer is full to the brim!

I decided to change tack and go in a totally different direction.
Of course that was cake,
I am predictable.
I have not made a carrot cake for years.
The last time I used my kid's cookbook.
The cake was nice, but it was more plain cake that carrot, the flavours were lacking.
It was obviously meant for kids, not the cake connoisseur.

I flicked through my many cookbooks, skipped past recipes with pineapple and sultanas...
Then I found this one...


I had all the ingredients necessary and began mixing...


All mixed up and it did not look very appealing.
But the aroma from the mixed spices was alluring.
I popped in my trusty old springform tin and into the oven for 1hr 15mins.


It came out golden and fragrant.
I could not wait.
I mixed up a zesty cream cheese frosting...


I popped the warm cake out of the tin...


Gave it a quick slice in half and slathered some frosting on, sandwiched it between the two layers and then smothered the whole cake in the remaining frosting...


I should have waited for it to cool...



But of course I didn't!


I scooped out a warm, gooey slice and devoured it....
No, sorry, that is not what happened at all.
I had my cake in front of me on my desk, while I sipped my coffee and checked my emails.
I looked down to see a chunk was missing....
Hmm!
I looked up again, read a few emails, sipped some coffee.
I looked down and went to reach for my spoon so I could try some of this fragrant cake...
It was gone...
And some was almost all of my cake!
I looked to my left, and just out of the corner of my eye was my husband, standing with my spoon, crumbs on the corner of his mouth, and a guilty look on his face.
Oh, I see!
I ate the remaining sliver of cake, sharing with our children who were hovering around like hungry little flies.

The next morning the cake had cooled, and I sliced myself a small piece for morning tea.
It was so moist and dense.
A deliciously decadent carrot cake.


Carrot Cake With Orange Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients:

3 eggs
1 1/3 cups (250g) firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup (250mL) vegetable oil
3 cups firmly packed, coarsely grated carrot
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (I used pecans instead)
2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsps mixed spice

Cream cheese frosting:
(I doubled this recipe so I could make a layer cake)

30g butter, softened
80g cream cheese, softened
1 tsp finely grated orange rind
1 1/2 cups icing sugar (may need more to reach right consistency)
1 tbs orange juice

Method:

Preheat oven to 180*C.
Grease a deep 22cm round cake tin, and line the bottom with baking paper.
Beat sugar, eggs and oil in a bowl using an electric mixer, until thick and creamy.
Mix in carrot and nuts, then sifted dry ingredients.
Pour into tin and bake for 1hr15mins.
Stand in tin for 5mins, then cool completely on a wire rack.
Meanwhile, make frosting by beating cheese and butter with a mixer until creamy then add zest and juice and gradually mix in icing sugar until the right consistency is reached.
Cover the cooled cake in frosting and enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment