Friday, October 14, 2011

Baked Tuna Casserole

Remember this?



Well, I have had this on my "to do" list for a long time.
Finally, I decided I would actually cook it.

Of course, as with everything, I strayed from the recipe.
It looked like it needed a little oomph in flavour.
So I decided to add in a can of this...



I used spinach fresh from my container garden...



As well as fresh parsley from a neighbouring tub.
I omitted the peas.
I hate peas.
I added some wholemeal pasta, to bulk it up a bit.
But it still looked good...



Fresh from the oven and the smell was divine...



I scooped out a big serving...



And had a tasty and terribly healthy lunch...



It keeps well in the fridge, and has been another dinner and lunch after that as well.



So here is the recipe, tweaked a little from the original found here.

FILLING

1 leek, finely sliced
3 large zucchini (courgettes), diced
200 g spinach leaves
400 g tin tuna in spring water, well drained
2 tablespoons chopped oregano
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Cracked pepper

400g tin diced tomatoes

1 Cup Wholemeal pasta

WHITE SAUCE
500 g ricotta
pinch of nutmeg to taste
cracked white pepper
50 g grated parmesan cheese

Combine all the ingredients, except parmesan, in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.

TO MAKE THE FILLING:

Preheat the oven to 180°C .
Saut̩ the Leek in a saucepan with 1 tablespoon olive oil over a low Рmedium heat until soft.
Add the zucchini and spinach.
Cook for 5 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted and zucchini has slightly softened.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and fold thorough the tuna, tinned tomatoes and herbs.
Season with pepper.
Spoon the tuna mixture into individual ovenproof dishes or one large baking dish.
Spread over the white sauce.
Grate over the Parmesan cheese.
Bake the casserole for 30 – 40 minutes until golden on top and heated though.
Serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment