Monday, October 31, 2011

Cheese, Bacon & Smokey BBQ Onion Pull Apart {RECIPE}

I had this urge to bake this morning.
I saw a delicious recipe for orange zest cookies.
I had to resist.
I knew that if I made them, I would eat them.
Naughty, naughty!
I'm currently doing a 4 week boot camp and my trainer would KILL me if she saw in my food diary that I had been eating cookies.
I say cookies because I know that having just one would not be possible.
So I browsed through a pile of magazine clippings that my husband had pulled out from my recipe folder and spotted one.
Cheese, bacon & Corn Pull Apart.
Well, it sounded exactly like the kind of thing my man would love.
I checked the pantry....
No corn.
Bummer.
Oh well, I'll do what I always do and tweak it a little...
Not too much later and I pulled this treat out of my oven...



Looks good, doesn't it?



Golden, cooked to perfection.



And oh, the cheese! Yum!

So here is the tweaked recipe:

Cheese, Bacon & Smokey BBQ Onion Pull Apart


Ingredients:

250g bacon rashers, rind removed, finely chopped.
3 cups self raising flour
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
40g butter, chopped.
1/2 Spanish onion, finely chopped (I had half sitting in my fridge but you could use a whole one)
1/2 cup smokey bbq sauce
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup grated tasty cheese
1/2 cup milk, plus extra, to brush

Method:

  • Preheat oven to 200*C/180*C fan forced.
  • Grease a 7cm deep, 21x10cm (base measurement) loaf pan.
  • Heat a medium sized frying pan over moderate heat. Add bacon, cook and stir for 5mins or until browned. Drain on paper towel.
  • Using the same frying pan, fry Spanish union until slightly softened, then add bbq sauce. Cook, stirring until onion has softened further. Leave to cool.
  • Sift flour, pepper and salt into a large bowl. Using fingertips, rub in butter.
  • Stir in half the bacon, parmesan and all of the tasty cheese and Spanish onion mixture.
  • Make a well in the centre, and using a round bladed knife, briefly stir in milk and 1 cup of water to combine and form a sticky dough. (Note: Instead of mixing and kneading by hand, I placed all dry ingredients in my Mixmaster and used it to mix and then knead, saving myself a big mess!)
  • Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly to combine. Dough should be soft and sticky. Divide into 6 pieces and roughly shape into balls.
  • Place balls into prepared loaf tin and brush with extra milk. Sprinkle with remaining bacon and cheese.
  • Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden and loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
Enjoy!

2 comments: