Saturday, May 5, 2012

Saturday is for Sharing

There are some of life's simple pleasures that I really enjoy on a cold day.
Hot soup.
Fresh bread.
I love pulling out my slow cooker from it's Summer hiding hole and dusting it off for a soup like this.


Minestrone.
I follow a recipe from one of my favourite cookbooks, Fresh From The Vegetarian Slow Cooker.
It is delicious, really delicious.
I love being organized in my day (not that it happens very often!), and the slow smell of hearty soup cooking on my bench top comforts me.
It makes me look forward to slipping on the wool ugg boots and oversized dressing gown when the chill hits at the end of the day.


So I thought I would share with you the recipe.
It is simple, yet fabulously flavoursome.

Minestrone Soup

Serves 6
Ingredients:
1 tbspn olive oil
1 medium sized brown onion, minced
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 ounces green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes
1 medium sized zucchini
6 cups vegetable stock
salt & pepper
1/2 cup raw small pasta
1/4 cup basil pesto

Method:
Pour the oil into the bottom of your slow cooker. Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic, cover, and cook on high while you gather remaining ingredients.
After they are prepped, add the gren beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, zucchini, and stock to the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
An hour before it is ready to serve, add the raw pasta to the slow cooker and cover.
Just before serving, stir in the pesto.
Enjoy!







2 comments:

  1. ooo yum and thanks for sharing at TBL...great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmmmmmm....And the uggs and dressing gown sound as equallly tempting!

    ReplyDelete