Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Very Sad Day



Yesterday we lost our beautiful little Jack Russell, Lily. She was only 4 years old.
It all happened very fast.
I had been outside gardening with her by my side and our baby girl had been chatting to her through the back door most of the day.
But as I went out to hang up our washing I saw her under our big tree, convulsing and unable to stand up, panting heavily.
I went and got her some water which she would not drink and as I got closer I could see that something had happened and we needed to get her to the vet fast.
I called my husband and he rushed home from work. I sat on our back step cuddling her while I waited.
He was home in minutes and we piled into the car and zoomed up to the vet.
As we walked in and told the man behind the counter she was fitting, he jumped up and we ran into a room where she was put on a table and suddenly there were 5 other staff in there surrounding her.
She was burning up so they put her on a drip to cool her down and hoped that would stop the fitting. They said it was most likely from the heat.
As we stood there staring at them running around, Eve kept saying "D, D, D, Do!"
She knew that our puppy dog was there. She loved her.
I had to take Eve home as it was her feed time and if I waited any longer she would have been screaming.
After two hours of trying to get Lily to stop fitting they decided to put her on a light anesthetic. She was still twitching and they had come to the conclusion that it was most likely a rare disease young dogs can get which affect their brain. We had the choice of sending her to the nearest big town for bloodwork to be done which would cost us $3000 and the chance of her surviving were slim. If she did survive she would be a vegetable after the damage done by all tthe fitting.
Our other option was to put her to sleep.
We went up, said our goodbyes and had a little cuddle.
The house is empty without her, our other dog keeps pacing up and down the fence, looking for her. Even our goat has been crying out for her little friend.
We miss her, she was our little furry baby, very spoilt and very loved.




2 comments:

  1. What a sweet little pup. I am so sorry for your loss. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, that's terrible! There's nothing worse than watching your little dog fit like that and not be able to help. I'm so sorry for your loss, it leaves such a hole in the family when you lose a beloved pet.

    ReplyDelete