Monday, December 5, 2011

Thyme, Garlic & Parmesan Wholemeal Bread

It's not always sweet baking in my house.
See?



I had an urge to bake bread.
I looked into my container of bread flour and found it was almost empty.
I rummaged through the pantry....
Then the fridge...
I found a handful of ingredients and thought "I'll give this a go!"
No recipe, just the basic bread equation in my head.



I was surprised that it worked.
I knew it would be a dense loaf.
But oh my it tastes amazing hot and fresh with a little butter or margarine melted on top...



It is great for toasting, melting cheese and other toppings on and even better made into tasty little croutons for a hearty tomato soup.
Yum!

Of course I wrote down the recipe as I went, just in case it did work!

Thyme, Garlic & Parmesan Wholemeal Bread

Ingredients:

I cup plain wholemeal flour
1 cup linseed meal
1 cup rye flour
3/4 cup bread flour
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
Small jug of warm water
2 tablespoons dried garlic
Big shake of dried Thyme
3/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese, half for dough, half for on top.

Method:

Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl (except the parmesan for on top of loaf).
Pour in warm water, in small increments until dough has reached the right consistency, not too hard and dry, but not wet and sloppy.
Place on a floured bench and knead until it springs back when poked.
Put in a greased bowl, lightly covered with cling wrap and leave in a warm place to rise.
Once doubled in size, punch down and leave to rise again.
Preheat oven to 220*C
When doubled again remove from bowl and place on a lightly floured surface and shape into a loaf or rolls.
Place in a greased tin and pop in the oven for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 200*C and bake for a further 35-40 minutes or until cooked through.
Carefully remove from tin and leave to cool on a rack.
Enjoy!

1 comment: