Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Spinach & Ricotta Cannelloni with Basil and Feta.

By now you should know I am a little bit of an experimental cook.
I find it near impossible to stick to a recipe, in fact, I can't remember the last time I did!
Sometimes these make for culinary disasters, but sometimes it is pure food heaven.

This experiment was a raging success.
I looked at two recipes, then into my pantry, then out to my basil plant and then came up with my own concoction.
A very delicious, and addictive concoction!

I started with some spinach and onion and sauteed until it was a soft mixture.



Then out of the pantry came my mum's homemade feta cheese......YUMMY!!



Then into the processor went the cheese and basil...



Blended into a delicious paste...



In went egg yolks and ricotta...



Then I mixed it all together...



To make a gloopy mixture...



I pulled out my trusty icing gun/cookie press/thing I love so much...



And filled these tubes in no time...



I grated some veges (my main goal for every family meal is to get as many veges in there as possible!) and added to pasta sauce and poured all over...




The flavour was amazing, the texture was creamy and divine...



No, really, they are addictive. I must have eaten at least three tubes after they were baked and then snacked on them the rest of the day with Eve... Only about half were left by dinner time, oops!

Spinach & Ricotta Cannelloni with Basil and Feta

Ingredients:

Filling:
  • 250g frozen spinach
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 225g ricotta
  • 1/2 cup feta cheese
  • 1 cup fresh basil leaves
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 small zucchini, grated
  • 1 small carrot, grated
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • pinch ground black pepper

A jar of your favourite pasta sauce & parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top.

  1. Saute onion and spinach in a frying pan until soft. Place in a strainer and squeeze out excess liquid. Leave aside to cool.
  2. Place basil and feta cheese in a food processor and process until smooth.
  3. Add egg yolks and ricotta and process until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
  4. Place spinach and onion in a bowl and stir in the cheese and egg mixture.
  5. Fill cannelloni tubes and place in a greased baking dish.
  6. Mix grated zucchini and carrot with pasta sauce and pour over cannelloni tubes. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
  7. Cover with foil and bake at 160*C for 30-40mins or until cannelloni tubes are tender.
  8. Remove foil and bake for a further 15-20mins or until golden and cooked through.



1 comment:

  1. oooh yum! It's times like this I hate being lactose intolerant!!

    ReplyDelete