Friday, September 21, 2012

Simple Blog Makeover Tutorial Series {Template Customization}

Hello and welcome to day 2 of my simple blog makeover tutorial series.
If you missed the first instalment, on how to make a pretty background using Photoshop, pop on over here.

Now we have our pretty background image and header, it's time to pop it on the blog and play around with the template settings to get the look you are after.

Sounds a bit complicated, looks a bit tricky sometimes, but it is quite easy, I promise!
When the new Blogger came in I hated it.
But now I can appreciate some of the improvements.
One thing that I really love is the live demo while in the template editor. Whatever you do, you get to see it, as it would appear on your blog. It makes it so much easier to tweak column sizes and match colours and fonts.

Anyway, let's begin!


Go to 'Template', then 'customize'




Select 'background' from the side menu, then click on the little grey arrow I have circled...


Select 'upload image', then 'choose file'.


Select your custom made background, then on to 'adjust widths'...




Now down to 'layout'...


Then down to 'Advanced', but don't let that scare you!



When you select one of the options from the side menu, e.g. 'Page Text', it will highlight the area you are editing. So here the live demo is so helpful, click on different colours, fonts, even sizes and you can see exactly how it will look.

Now you have finished, click on 'Apply to blog', and voila! Finished!



I hope this has made some sense to you.
As you can see by the clock in my screenshots, this was done over a period of two days, so please let me know if I have left anything out.
If you have any questions, please send me and email, or leave me a comment.
Happy blogging everyone!

1 comment:

  1. You have done such a great job with your makeover! I will be bookmarking your tutorial on your simple blog makeover for future use. Thanks for sharing the instructions.

    ReplyDelete