Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Mile-High Pancakes {Recipe}

Last night I was exploring Youtube.
(As you do)
My husband was snoring on the couch and I was looking up recipe tutorial videos when I stumbled upon a treasure trove...
I found a recipe by a channel called Rouxbe.
I watched some of their older videos and was led to their website.
Then onto the 21 pages of recipes.
Not just any recipes, these are amazing recipes!
Rouxbe is a cooking school, visit their website HERE for more information.
I browsed through the list of free recipes (this list here) and my taste buds were soon tingling.
I love to cook.
I had to try some of these recipes.
So I saved a few and printed some off and left them on my desk to peruse later.

This morning I was wandering around the kitchen wondering what to make the kids for breakfast.
I remembered one of the Rouxbe recipes was for 'Mile-High Pancakes' and decided to give them a go.
The recipe is so well written out, with perfect instructions, I can see why their school is currently full!


After following the recipe to the exact letter (not easy for me!) I finally got to see the fruits of my not-so-long labour. All in all it took me about 5mins to mix it all up (with children and puppy at my feet).
And boy were they worth it!
I got some ready for the kids...


They were perfection.
Light, fluffy and golden brown.
The perfect pancake texture.
Soft enough to soak up whatever syrup you drizzled on top....
Amazing!

Of course I made some for myself...


And I still have a plate full for my hubby!
Anyway, enough yapping, here is the recipe:

MILE-HIGH PANCAKES


2 cups plain flour
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt

2 cups buttermilk or regular milk
2 large eggs
2 tbsp vegetable oil

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and oil.

To mix the batter, first push the dry ingredients to one side of the bowl and then pour the wet ingredients into the opposite side.
Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet. As soon as the batter comes together, stop mixing.
Let the batter sit for about 5 minutes. It will thicken slightly as it sits. Do not remix.

Preheat your griddle or frying pan to medium, or medium-high heat. Grease with vegetable oil (I use a non stick pan and spray oil).
Once hot, ladle about 1/2 cup batter onto griddle/pan.
Let the pancakes cook until bubbles start to break the surface then flip and continue to cook the other side.
Repeat until all of batter is used.
Serve immediately with butter and maple syrup.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment