Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Homemade Taco Seasoning

This is one of the many things I have seen on Pinterest and thought to myself:
"Oh, I have to try that some day!"
Finally that day came.
I looked in the pantry and saw some tortillas and beans along with my vegetarian "mince".
My tummy grumbled for some spicy Mexican dinner, but after searching amongst my herbs and spices, I could not find a taco seasoning packet.
So I did what any sane person does in that situation, I went to Pinterest!
I found one on a site called Whole New Mom (and I can't wait to explore the rest of her site!).

It called for these ingredients...

2 Tbsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes 
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp cumin
2 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper

I scanned the list and knew I would have most of what I needed.....
Then I rummaged in my pantry...
Uh oh!
I only had some bare ingredients, chilli powder, cumin, garlic granules, paprika, salt & pepper.
I decided to finely dice a fresh onion, grind up the garlic granules to release the flavour and just mix with what I had and give it a go....


I know it doesn't look amazing, but it tasted GREAT!
I accidentally went a bit overload at first and it ended up too strong for my vege mince alone so I added the beans and it was perfect.
I will definitely be doing this again!
Check out the original post over HERE for extra tips and instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment