Thursday, April 19, 2012

When I Am Organized

Sometimes I have these days where I am super organized.
I get things done, I finish those never-ending projects, and get to tick things off my giant to-do list.
Yesterday, was one of those days.
The usual chores were done, washing on and a load hung up. Dishwasher swishing away while I contemplated our options for dinner.
I decided on a pasta bake, filled with veges I would not tell the kids about.

I wandered about and set upon my sewing machine. A short while later, I had finally finished these...

I am in love with them!
I didn't use a pattern, I chopped up some old pants that were stained beyond saving and used them as a rough guide.

Now when I say I have days of organization, it seems that they come with a price.
Can I use this as my excuse to not be organized as much?

I powered through those pants, and was so excited when I finally put them on my boy...

Well uh-oh!
They are too big, too loose and too long.
Those cute cuffs on the bottom have to be tucked up twice to fit the length of his legs.
They are so baggy and lose, we could fit two children in these babies!

As that classic, horrible song once said "Ain't nothin gonna break my stride!"
I kept on with my super awesome productivity.

I started preparing for my daughter's 3rd birthday party this Sunday.
I baked up a delicious gluten free brownie base for the berry brownie pizza I will be making.
I melted chocolate, coloured with my new powder dyes and dipped the cake pops that have been waiting in the freezer into the delicious liquid.
I experimented.
I made these, I call them "Sweet Treat Seaweed", to fit in with the under the sea theme...

I am not completely happy though. I was hampered in my search for fish shaped lollies and m&ms were all we had on hand.

Of course while I was doing this chocolate dipping, I had a little girl at my feet, eager to help with any taste testing involved.

I moved on to the next big thing on my to-do list.
The photo booth.
I have been planning this for months.
I have been collecting fun props for months.
I was ecstatic when we got our new fridge and the box it came in was perfect.

So I set to it, I taped white paper to the walls, to reflect the light so we weren't all dark blobs, I hung the cute spotty fabric I bought specifically for this and arranged it to drape perfectly.
I was so happy with my efforts.
I let it be, and started on the next big things.
Painting the pallets for the coffee table I am making.
I painted, my girl ran around playing and my boy made music with his noisy toys.

Next big thing on the list; the gazebo.
For my boy's party we ran out of time to put our gazebo thingy up and it was quite warm and sunny outside, we needed the extra shade!
So I decided I would be super organized and put it up now, a few days early, but still, I could move it down to the end of the driveway and all would be fine.
With some help from little hands, we had that giant up in no time.
It was new out of the box.
It wobbled.
A lot.
All I needed to do was wait until my hubby came home to help me move it and then peg it down so it would be ready to use.

I headed inside and did a quick tidy and sort of the kids toys. More to go off to charity this week!
I recently changed my little man's room around as we were hit with such a cold snap. His cot was under the window and his little face would be freezing all night from the crisp air seeping in.
I love the way it looks now.
We have paint to repaint it, we just need that other necessary ingredient... TIME!

My favourite part, and most coveted item, is this armchair.

It oozes retro and it so comfortable, it makes those night waking and feedings a little more bearable.

Recognise this bunting?

I made it for the big birthday bash and now it is the only decoration in the room. We need to paint asap!

I was on a roll. So much done, and I had only one coffee in me.
I got dinner going as my dear hubby arrived home, late as work needed him for an extra hour.
Next thing I know the oven is beeping, the kids are whining and dinner is being eaten.
Well, by some!
Dinner, bath and bed fly by and the house is quiet.
I heat up my dinner and relax in front of my laptop screen, ready to watch the end of a documentary I started a few days ago.

I cleared my plate and saw two sad pears in our fruit bowl. We needed to eat them. But no one is a fan of pears by themselves.
So of course I whipped up a batch of choc chip vanilla and pear pancake batter for the kids' breakfast the following morning.
How organized is that!

I tucked myself into bed with the hope of getting a good night's sleep.
Nope, no chance!

My eyes closed and the baby monitor blared.
Up and off to feed the little one.
Back into bed, now it's 11:50pm, how did that happen?

I am woken by my girl crying out for me, I rush into her room.
She wants me in her bed.
She will not come out into mine, and will not go to sleep alone.
I climb into her bed and she snuggles into me.
It is 4am and I wonder what woke her?
I start to drift off to sleep when I hear the wind outside, it is picking up.
I hear banging, something is blowing around out there.
I ignore it and look over to see Eve is fast asleep.
I sneak back into my bed and climb under the blankets.
My eyes close and then it starts, the baby monitor calls out to me again.
I rush off to feed the little boy and when on my way back I see the time.
I know he will not go back to sleep, but I try to let him settle, as I listen to him chatting to himself in bed.
"Mummyyy!! Mummyyy! Where are you??"
She is awake.
He is awake.
My husband's alarm goes off and I give up on sleep.

Breakfast. What to have?
Oh yes, the pancake batter, thank God I was organized!

They were delicious, phew!
As we sat and ate our breakfast, I remembered the banging and thought I should check outside.
I remembered in my sleepy fog I had heard rain.
Oh dear...

I gave the kids some popcorn to share for an early morning snack and rushed outside.

First thing I saw was my photo booth.
The damp in the air had made it sag, coupled with the cat using it as a scratching post, it looked in a sad state.

I looked behind and saw the gazebo, which we had forgotten about..

The rain was coming down so I left it and rushed back inside as my girl ran out to see what I was up to and to show me something...
She had gone into the shower, in the few minutes I was outside, and had emptied a few big handfuls of conditioner into her hair.
It's too cold for her to shower now, and once it's one in, it's all in.
I haven't even had a coffee yet!
So I brushed it in and figured she would get a deep treat condition for the day and he hair will be silky soft after her bath tonight...

I looked over to see my boy, what was he up to?
Oh you know, the usual.

Emptying his bowl of popcorn all over the floor and watching the tv upside down.
As you do!

So this is what happens when I am organized.
At least I have these cute little smiles to get me through the tough bits...


  1. Oh Man...You were very dilegent!! Love the cheeky lil monkeys!Andhoope the party goes off like a perfect sea with no storms:)

  2. I love the blog! But where on earth are you that it is too cold to shower?

    1. Thank you, it's nice to see a new face :)
      We are in the suburbs south of Sydney, but recently there was a freakish cold snap that reduced our house to an ice box like state. :S When we have a shower it is usually me holding my 14 month old boy with my 3yr old at my feet and the juggle to get the little guy dried and dressed while the girl runs around the house in the nude with wet hair is a bit of a nightmare! It all turned out ok though, her hair was the softest it has ever been when I washed it out that night :)