Friday, March 23, 2012

Pumpkin Gnocchi {Recipe}

I have had a huge pumpkin staring at me.
What to do?
I chopped that giant up and steamed half then pureed it into silky smoothness.
My first intention was to use this puree to hide in foods, so my kids (and us adults) will get a little vegetable boost in our meals.
Then my mind wandered...
Maybe a nice creamy pumpkin sauce to go with the tortellini in the fridge?
Maybe make a vegetarian lasagne with pumpkin in the layers or bechamel sauce?

I was stumped.
I sat down to watch my favourite show, My Kitchen Rules (it's great, all about cooking!).
One of the teams was making gnocchi.
*Ding*
Pumpkin gnocchi!

So I trawled through the tone of recipes on Pinterest, and found this one, by a blog who I already follow and love: Closet Cooking.

So I followed the recipe...


Mine was most definitely not as neat as his, but I was juggling the phone and my almost 3yr old at the same time!

I accidentally overcooked it but decided to give it a quick pan fry in my special garlic basil pesto.


Oh....
My.....
INCREDIBLE!


And little miss decided to help herself to some dough!


Anyway, here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
2 cups pumpkin/squash puree
1 egg yolk
1 1/2 - 2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pinch nutmeg (optional, I did not add)

Directions:
1. If your pumpkin puree is really wet, simmer it in a sauce pan to dry it out a bit and then let it cool down.
2. Mix the egg yolk into the pumpkin puree.
3. Mix the salt and nutmeg into the flour.
4. Mix enough of the flour into the pumpkin puree to form a soft dough that is not too sticky to work with.
5. Knead the dough for a minute and then roll it out into 4 long thin rolls about 1/2 inch thick.
6. Cut the rolls into 1/2 inch pieces and then roll the pieces in flour lightly shaking off any excess.
7. Roll the pieces over a gnocchi board or a fork to give them the ridges.
8. Cook the gnocchi in boiling water in small batches until it floats to the surface, about 2-3 minutes, remove and set aside to drain.
9. Use as desired.

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment