Friday, March 2, 2012

Cheesey Vegetable Risotto {Recipe}

I LOVE risotto.
But I am fussy.
I don't like the stuff that tastes like strong white wine.
I like flavour.
I like a bit of texture.
I like to be able to cook one meal that the whole family will enjoy.
I have to say, this one is a raging success.
Years ago I found a recipe for broccoli risotto. I tried it, my first ever risotto.
I loved it.
My husband loved it.
I can tell if my husband likes a meal when he asks for it again.
We had it three nights in a row.

Since having kids, and fussy eater little miss, I like to tweak my recipes to add as much veg as possible.
So this recipe changed.
It had onion and broccoli as it's only veg but now it boasts spinach and carrot as well.

So if you are looking for something easy to cook for the whole family, give it a go!
Tell me if you like it too!


Cheesey Vegetable Risotto

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cup arborio rice
3/4 cup parmesan cheese (I always have a packet or two of the long life stuff in the pantry, it is a must!)
1 head of broccoli, chopped and steamed/boiled until soft
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, grated
3 cubes frozen spinach, thawed
Vegetable stock, about 4 cups, 1L.

Method:

Saute onion in a large saucepan in a tablespoon of olive oil until soft.
Add rice and stir.
Slowly add a half a cup of stock and stir, keep the heat at medium-low, enough for small bubbles.
Stir regularly until stock has been absorbed.
Add another half-one cup of stock and stir until absorbed. Continue with the rest of the stock until rice is plump and soft, but not mushy. You may need less or more stock than I used.
Leave it a little sloppy, not too solid, as the cheese will help bind it all together.
Add carrot, broccoli and spinach and stir.
Add parmesan cheese and stir it in.
Serve nice and hot or can be eaten cold for lunch the next day (if there is any left!)

No comments:

Post a Comment