Saturday, January 7, 2012

My Day In the Garden

Remember this?
This tangled mess of weeds...


Well, I got stuck in!
The other day my father in law came over and did a little weeding, he pulled out most of the big grassy weeds, filling up our green waste bin.
The bin men came and took it away.
Hello empty bin!
I got to work.
I pulled, I dug, I turned.
I got filthy, covered in spider webs, mud and ants.
That was day one.
The next day we headed off to Bunnings with our gift card we received for Christmas (awesome present, I squealed when I saw it!).
We wandered around, I was disappointed by the small vegetable seedling section.
But I was determined!
I bought seedlings, seeds and sugar cane mulch.
We got home, I got straight to it.
Emerging a few hours later, to this....


In it there are cucumbers, capsicum, lettuce, beetroot and silverbeet, as well as some strawberry shoots tucked away up the back.
I couldn't help but feel proud of my hard day's work.
Today I am paying for it.
My whole body aches.
But it was worth it, not only did I get a great workout (for free!), I have started us up a nice patch which will provide us with food for our hungry little family.

I also bought a lovely little rosemary bush which is in a big pot with the rest of my herbs, some seeds for flowers and spaghetti squash, which is very hard to find around here!
I am hoping to get out there later today and turn a little section into a strawberry patch, and plant some seeds so we have a continuous flow of food.

For now though, I'll leave you with these...










2 comments:

  1. Ohh, your garden is going to be lovely. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Clare, it won't be long before you will see the fruits of your labour. That's the rewarding part. The hard work will eventually pay off. Thanks so much for sharing. I wish I were in your shoes. We have lots of snow her in Canada. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete