Friday, January 20, 2012

Can't Get Enough Cake {RECIPE}

There is something very wrong with me.
I. Am. Organized.
This is not usually my strength.
At. All.
But since I have decided to do more elaborate birthday parties for the kids, I have decided that whatever I can make in advance, I will! I am trying to save myself stress closer to the parties...
I really hope it works....

I started with a practice run of Eve's cake. New recipe, which turned out AMAZING, you can find it HERE. It's just a butter cake but it was dense and moist and perfect.


I did two layers, two tones of blue and then a very rushed icing job...


I was experimenting with swirls, and found that doing anti-clockwise ones came out how I wanted...


See the gaping hole at the top?
I ran out of frosting....
But I have plans for that gap to stay.
I have moulded a rock out of cake pop mixture which will sit in that spot, with Ariel the mermaid and her friends perched on top.
Over the top madness? That's me!
Of course I made some actual cake pops too, they look like bumpy chocolate rocks, perfect!

Yesterday I whipped up a quick cherry pie mixture, no recipe, just throwing a few things in a pot and hoping for the best...


Why this?
To make mini cherry pie bites of course!


They, along with the cake pops & "rock", are in nice neat containers in the freezer, ready to be pulled out and prepared.
The cherry pie bites are inspired by Bakerella's Pie Pops but I didn't put them on pop sticks and I added some vanilla to my mixture. Yummy!

As I was munching on a deliciously flavoursome nectarine I noticed the amount of oranges in our fruit bowl.
A lot!
So what did I do?
Made an orange cake of course!


I have run out of icing sugar so thought of another delicious way to sweeten the top up...


I squeezed half an orange over the top...


Then sprinkled with some crunchy raw sugar...


The recipe is from one of my favourite books, The Country Show Cookbook.
I found it at the local library when I was staying with my mum.
It is so me.
I love country cookbooks.
I hope to make every single thing from this book, at least once.
Challenge, right?

Orange Cake

Ingredients:

140g butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
3 eggs
2 cups self-raising flour
3/4 cup milk
Juice & rind of one orange

Method:

Preheat oven to 180*C (350*F)
Grease a 20cm tin.
Cream butter and sugar.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one.
Fold in flour and milk alternately.
Lastly fold in orange juice and rind.
Bake for approximately 40mins or until cake is "quiet" (has stopped bubbling inside).
Remove from oven and let cool.
Turn out on a rack and ice.

Orange Icing

2 cups icing sugar
2 tablespoons soft butter or margarine
juice of 1/2 and orange

Combine butter and sugar in a bowl.
Add enough orange juice to make a soft paste and mix well.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. That cake looks wonderful...Not like a rushed icing job but like a foamy swirly sea...Wonderful! I love a Buttercake with butter icing Mmmmmmmm. Have you tried the whole orange cake..?? The Bamix recipe is the one I use so so so easy and so so so most and yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the cake queen! I really like how your "rushed job" on the blue icing turned out!

    ReplyDelete