Monday, November 28, 2011

Little Miss Bake-A-Lot

This past weekend was a busy one.
Sunday was my darling husband's birthday.
So of course I had to make him a cake!

I found a silicone castle cake mold at our local Kmart and thought it would be fitting for my prince charming.
I whipped up a delicious batter for a caramel mud cake and the baking began.
There was a minor problem though....
The recipe did not make enough batter to fill the mold!
I knew that mud cakes don't rise very much so this would mean I would have to get creative!



The cake came out perfectly, no major disasters of crumbling walls. Phew!
But it had peaked up a little so the base was far from flat....
I started to trim it off.....Oh dear, it started to crumble away before my eyes!
I stopped, and decided on a different approach.
A little girl came in to "help me" and we rushed through the decorating...



And finally, it was done!
Silly me didn't get enough choc honeycomb so the moat was a half sized one, but still delicious filled with the salted caramel sauce I had made.



I somehow found a place for it in our fridge and left it for the next day... The birthday.
Finally, it arrived!
With no bits missing, by some miracle.
I pulled out the candles, and cracked holes in the chocolate layer to push them in...



Then the birthday boy blew out his candles...



We sliced it open...



Then the fun began!







But that wasn't the only baking I have done lately.... This week has been busy...



Experimenting with a new frosting recipe.
And making chunky cookies and cream brownies...



I'll share the recipe for those chocolate treats.....
Tomorrow!

1 comment: