Saturday, May 7, 2011

Gazpacho Soup!

I am a fan of the old TV show Red Dwarf.
I have fond memories of gathering in the lounge room with my family to watch an episode together. Many laughs were had. :)
From a certain episode (I won't go into detail, it won't make sense unless you have seen it) I have had an unwavering curiosity of Gazpacho soup....
I had to make it.
I had to eat it.
I.... Just....Had.....To!

In my favourite cookbook there is a recipe, so after years of looking but never quite doing, I finally made it.
Yes it may have taken me a lot longer than it should have, but in my defense I was running from children to kitchen all day.

Sadly I only managed one photo, this is it before adding the final stock....



It was delicious!
The only way I could describe it was like drinking a salad.
So tasty with the tang of vinegar, the crunchy cucumber and saltiness of the olives with a bite of garlic.

I think you should try it, why not?

Gazpacho Soup
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:

750g Ripe tomatoes
1 Lebanese cucumber, chopped (I used a large continental)
1 Green capsicum, chopped (I omitted as I didn't have any)
2-3 Cloves Garlic
1-2 Tablespoons finely chopped black olives (I didn't measure mine, just chucked a lot in!)
1/3 Cup Red or White Wine Vinegar (I used red)
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste

Accompaniments: (I didn't bother with these but maybe next time if I have more time)
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 Red capsicum, finely chopped
2 Spring onions, finely chopped
1 Lebanese cucumber, finely chopped
2 Hard boiled eggs, chopped
Chopped fresh mint or parsley croutons

Directions:
  • To peel the tomatoes, score a cross in the base of each tomato. Cover with boiling water for 30 seconds then plunge in to cold water (I used a bowl in the sink with ice). Drain and peel away the skin from the cross.
  • Chop the flesh so finely it is almost a puree.
  • Mix together the tomato, cucumber, capsicum, garlic, olives, vinegar, oil and tomato paste and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  • Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
  • Use 2-3 cups of chilled water to thin your soup. (I added about 2 as I liked it strong)
  • Serve with accompaniments on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment