Saturday, August 7, 2010

Saturday Is For Sharing.... Cheese Souffle!

I have had some cravings....
Cheese souffle cravings.
My mother got me addicted.
She makes the best cheese souffle.

So on Thursday night I pulled out my trusty Vegetarian Cookbook and flicked over to the souffle recipe.
Just ignore the unhealthy statistics underneath and you'll be fine.
I love this recipe, it is easy and doesn't take as long as it may seem.
To make things easier though I like to get everything measured out and ready.
If you do try this recipe I have one tip:
Leave your cheese out to get to room temperature as it will melt a lot easier. And try not to pack it down when measuring, I use the scales instead of cup measurements.

So here it is, in a horrible fuzzy photo as soon as it came out of the oven.....



.....Please don't look at my filthy stovetop!

It was perfect. Light and fluffy with a slightly crisp top.



So here's the recipe...

Ingredients:

60g Butter
45g Plain Flour
1 1/4 cups (315mL) milk, warmed.
1 1/2 cups (185g) grated cheddar, firmly packed (Easier to weigh so it doesn't form a brick which won't want to melt for you!)
1 tsp dijon mustard (I omitted this because I have none, still super tasty)
4 Eggs, seperated
1 Tablespoon freshly grated parmesan cheese (I also did not have any of this but it turned out perfect anyway)

Directions:

  • Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C (400F). Grease a 1.5 Litre souffle dish. (I did not have one big enough so I used an oval baking dish I have)
  • Melt the butter in a large pan then add the flour. Stir over low heat for 2mins or until the flour is lightly golden and bubbling. Remove from the heat and gradually add the milk, stirring until the mixture is smooth. Return the pan to the heat and stir constantly until the mixture boils and thickens. Simmer for 1min, then remove from heat.
  • Add the grated cheese, dijon mustard and egg yolks and stir until the cheese has melted. Season with salt and pepper. Cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
  • Put the egg whites in a clean dry bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form. Using a metal spoon, fold one third of the egg whites into the sauce, then gently fold in the remaining egg whites, being careful not to lose any volume.
  • Gently pour into the prepared dish and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
  • Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until well risen and cooked through.
  • Serve Immediately

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmmm....Looks delish!!
    I have never had souffle,that looks yum!!

    ReplyDelete